Noise pollution

We can investigate noise from domestic premises, such as loud music, barking dogs and DIY. We can also investigate noise from equipment in the street and from commercial and industrial premises. We cannot deal with traffic noise or noise from people shouting or fighting in the street.

For the noise to count as a statutory nuisance it must do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

How we investigate complaints

In the first instance the council would always advise residents who feel they are disturbed by noise from their neighbours to try and speak to the neighbour initially to explain their concerns. However we do understand that people don’t always feel comfortable doing this and it may not be appropriate for instances of noise from commercial or industrial premises. Therefore  residents have a right to report noise concerns to the Council. In reporting the noise to the Council residents MUST: 

  • give their name, address and a contact email or telephone number (the Council will not accept anonymous complaints)
  • be clear about what the noise is that is causing the problem
  • provide details of the times and frequency that it causes disturbance
  • advise where the noise is coming from

Please be assured that complainants’ details are confidential and so we don’t pass this information on to the alleged source of the nuisance although  in some circumstances it may be obvious who has complained. At this stage the Council writes to the noise source asking for them to contact us to discuss the concerns and we ask the complainant to keep a diary. The vast majority of complaints resolve themselves at this stage.

Where the problem continues and diaries are returned we can offer noise monitoring equipment for complainants to record the noise. The recording equipment time and date stamps  the recordings and is tamper proof. An officer will then listen to the recordings and decide if there is sufficient evidence to satisfy the legal definition of a statutory nuisance. If a nuisance is not observed initially the equipment can be installed again.

If the Council decides the noise does amount to a statutory nuisance we will serve a notice requiring the noise to be abated. Non-compliance with the notice is a criminal act and therefore where further evidence is gathered that a statutory nuisance exists we present the evidence to the courts for them to decide if the person is guilty.

Where found guilty the courts  determine a suitable sentence. In certain circumstances the Council can also obtain the power to remove electronic equipment that is causing the nuisance. ​

Report a noise complaint

Burglary Alarms

Please Register key-holder details, please try and ensure that your nominated key holder can respond within 20 minutes of being called.

If we receive a complaint about a burglary alarm that is causing a statutory nuisance or annoyance and the Police are satisfied that there is no criminal activity taking place at the property we will take actions to silence the alarm. If key-holder details are available they will be contacted to disable the alarm.

If no key-holders are registered and reasonable actions have been taken to try to contact the owner a notice may be served at the offending property, if this notice is not complied with further actions may be taken to silence the alarm. The costs incurred by the Local Authority during this process will be recharged to the owner/occupier of the premises.