Help with household bills​

If you’re struggling with your energy bills the best thing to do is be proactive and contact your supplier. By telling them you’re struggling to afford your bills they can help you find a solution. Talk to them about a payment plan that works for you - this means making payments you can afford over a fixed period of time.

For confidential advice on any money worries please visit Citizens Advice who can help anyone get on top of their finances. 

Citizens Advice Bureau - Halton

Call 0151 257 2449 (money advice) or 08082 787 956 (general advice), email advice@cahalton.org.uk, or visit https://haltoncab.org.uk/

Visit walk-in receptions from 10-2pm on weekdays:

  • Runcorn: Unit 1-2, Orchard Walk, Runcorn Shopping City, WA7 2BS
  • Widnes: Unit 3, Victoria Building, Lugsdale Road, WA8 6DJ (N.B office closed on Wednesdays)

Free confidential advice on a range of issues, including benefits, financial/debt advice and help to pay energy bills. 

Emergency support payments

If you can’t top up the meter support is in place this Winter to help with your costs via the household support fund. 

In urgent need, you can apply to the Council’s discretionary support team who will be able to help with emergency fuel support.

Telephone 0800 952 0016 (Freephone from landlines) or e-mail Support@halton.gov.uk.

Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4:30pm on a Friday. 

British Gas Energy Trust

If you’re struggling with money and energy debt, you are not alone. British Gas Energy Trust support families and individuals who are struggling to pay their bills across England no matter which energy company you are with: http://www.britishgasenergytrust.org.uk/

Energy efficiency and heating systems

Energy Projects Plus (EPP)

EPP’s Save Energy Advice Line provides free and impartial help and advice on reducing your energy bills and keeping warm at home – including managing fuel debt and help with broken heating systems. They can also help you identify and apply for suitable support schemes that you may be eligible for (e.g. replacement white goods or fuel vouchers).

Call 0800 043 0151 or visit epplus.org.uk for details.

Cheshire Green Doctor (operated by Groundwork Cheshire)

Call free on 0330 1740 863 or email Greendoctor.CLM@groundwork.org.uk

If you live in privately rented accommodation or own your own home, Cheshire Green Doctor can help you with finding the best energy tariff, installing energy saving measures and more.

As with heating, if you are struggling with your water bill it is always best to be proactive and contact your supplier who can help you go through your options for support.

United Utilities trust fund is available to provide financial support for those struggling with water bill debts. Please call 0300 790 6172 Monday to Friday 8.30-5 or follow the link below.

Home - United Utilities Trust Fund: United Utilities Trust Fund (uutf.org.uk)

WaterSure is a scheme which helps some people with their water bills. To apply for the scheme, you must be on benefits and need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because your household has a certain number of school-age children. You also need to be on a water meter or be waiting to have one installed.

Citizens Advice also has more information about WaterSure.

The ​Get Water Fit website helps you to compare your water usage, suggests ways you could save water and has free water saving products available for you to order.


If you receive certain benefits you will be eligible for a cheaper broadband tariff, although up to 90% of those eligible aren’t making the saving. All the major providers offer these tariffs including BT, TalkTalk, Virgin Media, Sky and many more.

For a full list with links to apply check out the link below.

Discounted 'social tariffs' for those on certain benefits (moneysavingexpert.com)