Data Protection & Privacy Notices
Data Protection Officer
The Council's Data Protection Officer can be contacted on 0151 511 7002 or by email to
Data Protection Act applies to personal information and ensures that it is handled properly and securely. Halton Borough Council holds and processes a significant amount of personal information in order to provide its services. There are a number of Privacy Notices which explain how information is collected by both the Council and Schools and how it is used and shared.
View Privacy Notices »
Data Protection Registration Service
The Registration Service Data Protection Officer can be contacted on 0151 511 7711 or by email to
The Information Commissioner's Office maintains a
Data Protection Public Register. You can search this to find out what personal data is being processed by a particular controller. Halton Borough Council's Registration Number is ZA009758
Rights in relation to personal data held by Halton Borough Council
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to request access to your personal information, unless exemptions apply. If you would like to request access to your personal information you can complete the
Online Application Form. Alternatively you can print and complete the
Subject Access Request Application Form or put your request in writing. Please refer to the
Guidance Notes when making your request. If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you will need to provide proof of authority to act on their behalf and provide proof of their identity as well as your own.
In most cases the Council will respond to a valid subject access request within a calendar month, unless exemptions apply. The calendar month will begin once your request has been validated, ie once identity and proof of residence has been verified and we have received all the information we require from you in order to process your request.
The following rights also apply:
- Right to Rectification – requesting amendments to inaccurate data
- Right to erasure (also known as the right to be forgotten) - requesting erasure of information you no longer want the Council to retain about you. Note: this only applies in certain circumstances.
- Right to restrict processing - requesting a restriction on how your personal data is used by the Council. Note: this only applies in certain circumstances
- Right to Object – to how the Council is using your information and ask us to stop doing so. Note: this only applies in certain circumstances.
- Right to data portability - requesting the Council to provide you with your personal data so that you can move it to a new provider. Note: this only applies in certain circumstances
- Rights related to automated decision making including profiling - requesting the Council stops making automated decisions about you (decision made without any human involvement).
The Information Commissioner provides summaries of all the Rights of the Individual on their
website. This gives specific information about how rights can be used by an individual and the situations in which they apply.
The above rights requests are free of charge and can be made verbally, by emailing
or by posting your request to Information Governance Service, PO Box 317, Runcorn WA7 9BZ; We will need your name, contact details, which right you are requesting with a description of the personal data your request relates to including the team/service where your data is retained.
The Council will need to verify your identity in order to process these requests and should normally respond to rights requests within a calendar month.
Halton Borough Council has a
Caldicott Guardian for Children's Services and Adults
Data Protection, Records Management and Information
If you wish to complain to the Council about any issues around how we handle any of the above processes in relation to your personal data, please contact the Data Protection Officer on 0151 511 7002 or by email to