​Social Care Charges

If Halton Borough Council has carried out an assessment of your care needs and have arranged either for you to go into a residential or nursing care home or to receive care services at home, you will need to contribute to the cost of services you receive.

Financial assessments for residential or nursing home care

The Government has set down detailed regulations and guidance for calculating the charges for residential and nursing care homes, which we must follow when calculating your charge. Specific enquiries about your charges you should contact us or the The Department of Health’s Care and Support Guidance issued under the Care Act 2014.

Charges for non-residential care services

All councils have to follow Government guidance on how people are charged for the services they receive at home. This is to make sure councils are charging people fairly and do not leave anyone in financial hardship as a direct result of charges for their care at home.

In Halton, the following types of non-residential services are chargeable but depending on your financial circumstances, we may be able to reduce your charge or in some cases, remove the charge completely:

  • Home care
  • Day care
  • Respite care (non-residential based)
  • Other types of support purchased through Direct Payments
  • Supported living services.

More information is available in Charges for non-residential care services.

Independent Financial Advice

Financial advisors fall into two broad groups:

  1. Those who are regulated and have to charge for any advice they give;
  2. Those which are not regulated and can offer free advice.


Fees vary from £75 to £350 per hour and the UK average is £150/ hour.  To find a local financial advisor that is regulated there are a number of websites which simply require your postal code to generate a list. Two examples are:

  • Find Financial Advisors;
  • Local Financial Advisors.

Halton Borough Council is unable to recommend any particular adviser or advice service. We would strongly suggest that you find out if an adviser is qualified to give advice. Below are links to organisations that may help you locate a suitable independent financial organisation:


Examples of free financial advice are:

  • Citizens Advice Bureau (local);
  • Which magazine;
  • ‘MoneySaving Expert.com’ is free to use;
  • Media – newspapers, magazines and the BBC (Moneybox) or their related websites;
  • Government-led or Government-backed services;
  • Commercial organisations such as comparison websites.

Halton Advice Service in Halton (Cheshire) - Housing Care Uses the Citizens Advice service's unique information system to provide free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects. In addition, there are specific services which are aimed at those over 50 or who offer free debt or free tax advice…etc. Examples are:

  • Age UK;
  • Tax help for older people

Free Debt Advice:

  • Christians against poverty;
  • CAB local;
  • Step Change debt charity;
  • Debt Advice Foundation;
  • National Debtline.

Free Tax Advice:

  • Low Income Tax Reform Group – provide advice to anyone on a low income such as students and pensioners;
  • Tax help for older people – independent free advice;
  • Taxaid (a charity).