Paying for Non-Residential Care and Support​

If you need care and support provided in your own home or in the community, you may be required to contribute (in part or in full) to the cost of the services you receive

Some non-residential services have a flat rate charge that everyone has to pay (e.g. meals, transport and community alarms) whilst other services (e.g. care at home, day care and supported living) are subject to a financial assessment. 

Most people have to pay something towards the cost of their care package. The amount you pay depends on:

  • If you receive a chargeable service – this will be confirmed by your social worker at the point your care is initially arranged. If your service is chargeable, you will be asked if you wish to be financially assessed to determine how much you need to contribute towards the cost of your care. If you have more than £23,250 (the upper capital limit) in savings or if you do not wish to complete a financial assessment then you will have to pay the actual cost of the service you receive.
  • The outcome of a financial assessment – this is a means tested assessment which looks at the level of your income, capital and certain types of expenditure. Capital includes any savings, investments or property you own and the value of your share of any jointly held assets. Your contribution towards the cost of your care package is determined by the outcome of a financial assessment. 

For more information, please see the domiciliary care charging guidance​.