A guide to your Adult Social Care Assessment

Your Adult Social Care Assessment

An assessment to look at your care and support needs has been booked, or is due to be booked. We appreciate you may have some questions about this process and would like to ensure we answer them.

What will I be asked?

Within your assessment you will be asked a series of questions about your life, what you do (your day-to-day activity and who you spend time with), what you would like to do but are currently unable , how you keep well and look after yourself and whether anyone helps you with this.
This assessment will determine the types of services you may be able to access. Where you have others involved in your care you may wish for them to be present during your assessment to help represent your views. If you would like independent representation, in the form of an independent advocate, we can arrange this for you. This option is also open to carers.
A copy of the full assessment can be requested prior to your assessment appointment – please just ask.

How long will the assessment take?

The length of the detailed assessment will be dependent on your needs. We will spend extra time with you, or make a return visit where needed. The assessment will usually be done within your own home or care setting or can be done over the phone as appropriate

Who will I be assessed by?

If this is the first assessment of your needs you will speak to someone in our Initial Assessment Team. Dependant on your requirements you may then be allocated a professional who will work with you to determine the best course of action to support your needs.

How will a decision be made?

Our assessment of your care and support needs, or your needs as a carer, are based on national requirements of Local Authorities under the Care Act 2014. Within this we follow national eligibility criteria to establish whether you are entitled to access services and support. The national eligibility criterion requires you to meet three conditions:
  1. Do you have care and support need you may have that arise from a physical or mental impairment or illness? This includes conditions resulting from physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illness, substance misuse or brain injury.
  2. As a result of the condition in question one, are you unable to achieve (without assistance from someone else; without being caused significant pain, distress or anxiety; or the outcome takes significantly longer than you would normally expect) two or more of the following outcomes:
    • Managing and maintaining nutrition
    • Maintaining personal hygiene
    • Managing toilet needs
    • Being appropriately clothed
    • Being able to make use of your home safely
    • Maintaining a habitable home environment
    • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
    • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
    • Carrying out any caring responsibilities you have for a child
  3. And, as a consequence of the impact on these outcomes there is a significant impact on your wellbeing.

Support Planning

Once your needs and eligibility for support have been established we work with you to develop a support plan. This support plan is centred on you, the network of support you may already have in place, and the community in which you live. Services and facilities provided or arranged will be proportionate to your needs. This means that they will be personalised to your individual situation in terms of circumstances like your living environment, the family and friends you have around you, and what you want to achieve as a desired outcome of the support. If someone requiring care and support lacks the capacity to make a decision for themselves an assessment of their decision-making ability will be made.

Financial Support

If you are eligible for services, because of your condition and its effect on your life, you may need to make a contribution towards the cost of your care. A financial assessment will be conducted with you to determine your client contribution. This assessment may be a separate appointment from that which determines your care and support needs. You may be eligible to access your personal budget as a ‘direct payment’, allowing you to arrange and pay for your own care and support services. Your assessor will be able to discuss these options further with you, and/or an appropriate representative.

What if I am not eligible for social care support?

Halton Borough Council cover a wide range of activity in the services they provide. If you do not meet the national eligibility criteria you may still be able to access some services. We will provide advice and guidance on where else you might be able to get help. Information can be accessed through Halton’s webpages or the Direct Links on services that will help delay or reduce additional need for further intervention.
A separate assessment may be required to determine your eligibility for funded care and support.

Reviewing your needs

Once your initial assessment has taken place and a care and support plan has been devised with you a review period will be determined. This could be within a three month period or could be up to 12 months later. This will depend on your needs and the package of support agreed. Your assessor will let you know when they intend to review your situation. If, of course, anything changes for you prior to a formal review period – your needs diminish or are supported through other means, or you find you need additional support – you can contact us at any time to discuss a review.

Customer Care

If you are not happy about the decisions that have been made, or about something that has or has not happened as a result of your contact with us, you are entitled to make a complaint. As part of the information you receive as part of your assessment you should be given a leaflet outlining the role of our Customer Care team. If you would like to make a complaint, make a suggestion, or even compliment a service or individual worker please contact us on 0151 511 6941 or email ssdcustomercare@halton.gov.uk - This service is covered Monday to Friday during office hours 0900-1700 (1640 on a Friday).
warning signIf you have an immediate concern about your own or someone else’s care and support please call our Adult Social Care teams on 0151 907 8306. Out of Hours this number will be directed to our Duty Team.