School Term Dates
Individual Term Dates
Schools will hold staff training days, also known as INSET days, on various days throughout the academic year, and will be closed to pupils at these times. To check these dates, please visit your child's school website for further information or contact the school directly.
Standardised school year
Halton Local Authority has agreed a standardised school year and calendar in partnership with the Cheshire and Merseyside Local Authorities Partnership (the former Learn Together Partnership). All community and voluntary controlled schools in Halton will follow these dates, however, it is hoped that the following principles and determined calendars are followed by
all schools in Halton, in order to ensure consistency for our families.
The principles of the standardised school year are as follows:
- All terms to start on a Monday (or a Tuesday if so necessitated by a Bank Holiday)
- February half term will always be the third week in February
- Easter Break will be renamed the Spring break and will always be the first two full weeks in April
- Easter will always be observed via the bank holidays for Good Friday and Easter Monday
- Where a school is open for part of a week to pupils, this will be for a minimum of three school days (to encourage attendance)
- The five INSET teacher training days are all to be designated by the individual school governing body, but there will be no more than two days (in any one term) set consecutively for this purpose.
Determined Calendars 2017-2018 to 2020-2021:
The following calendars must be implemented by all community and voluntary controlled schools in Halton, and it is hoped that the determined calendars are also adopted by all Academies, Free Schools, and Voluntary Aided schools in Halton, in order to ensure consistency for our families.
* Please note that the Academic Calendar 2018-2019 has been revised, with Autumn Term now finishing on 21st December 2018. The school year also finishes two days earlier on 24th July 2019.